Monday, September 15, 2014

A Wedding Gift - Flowers for My Niece

A Wedding Gift for My Niece

I love to garden!  It's become a bit of an obsession for me and although I'm no pro, I somehow worked up the courage to offer to grow flowers for my niece's wedding.  I was honored when she agreed and so we started started the planning (and planting) process!

January - The planning begins! 
The big day is only 140 days away - June 21st!!

After looking through gardening books, magazines and seed catalogs these were just some of the flowers that Kirsten and I selected: 


b Zinnias A Scabiosia Queen Anne's Lace
o Stock v Lisianthus A Love in Mist b Feverfew
b Poppy Cosmos vCelosia

My garden journal lists the flowers by name, height, days to bloom, and color.


February - seedlings are started indoors and new outdoor raised 

beds are constructed - the future home for all of these flowers.






March - The outdoor planting begins!  Just to be safe, several 

varieties were directly sowed outside  and hoop houses constructed 
over the raised beds.



April - The wedding flowers all tucked away in their own little mini 

greenhouses!

May - The flowers are coming along nicely!!  Every day the sun is 

shining is a good day!!  Our spring was a little lacking this year!  For late 

summer interest (after the wedding) hog panels were added to the 

rows of the raised beds and small pumpkins and gourdes will grow up 

and over them..



June 21st - The BIG day!! - my mom and daughter were there to lend 

helping hand with the cutting and arranging. Our yard was bursting 

with flowers with color!  Not only were the flowers that were grown 

for the wedding ready, but we had plentiful perennials from our garden

flower beds!  


The centerpieces turned out beautiful!! 








Wedding Day - My beautiful niece and her new husband





And a little side benefit - I get to enjoy the flowers all summer long!



No comments:

Post a Comment