Thursday, February 13, 2014

"I'm Expecting Great Things in the Garden this Year"

I'll be honest.... When some gardeners welcome the break that cooler weather and winter brings..... I am already dreaming, plotting and planning next year's garden.  My winters are filled with pouring through gardening magazines and seed catalogs (I have a bit of an addiction...), pinning anything garden related (o.k..... another addiction!) , and spending my evenings drawing out next year's veggie plot in my garden notebook!  I'm grateful for a husband that shares my passion for gardening and outdoor projects!  

February marks the start of of a summer filled with flowers, heirloom vegetables and countless trips to our local flower shops and nurseries!  By February 1st -- we have our seedlings started indoors......

For the last few years, I've collected and recycled old produce containers, filled them with a seed-starting mix, and planted my vegetable and flower seeds.  



There are many benefits to these little containers (drainage holes,hinged lids, etc) so they are the perfect little 'greenhouses' for seed starting.

Within the week we had the following sprouting under the grow lights:  Basil, Purple Peacock and Happy Rich Mini broccoli, Caraflex cabbage, Inzik (mini) cukes, Bianca di Maggio and Red of Florence onions, German Johnson and Green Zebra tomatoes, so many varieties of mini-head lettuces, along with peppers, cauliflower, tomatillo and shallots......

This year, I have the honor of growing flowers for my niece's wedding in June.  Wish me luck!  I've got to grow enough flowers to fill at least 25 table centerpieces!!

Here's the plan for this year's cutting garden :
  • Ammi "Green Mist"
  • Bupleurum "Green Gold"
  • Celosia "Ruby Parfait"
  • Cosmos "Double Click Mix", "Summer Dreams" and "Seashell Mix"
  • Eucalyptus "Silver Drop"
  • Aster "Fireworks Mix"
  • Euphorbia "Mountain Snow"
  • Feverfew
  • Gomphrena "Formula Mix"
  • Gysophila "Covenant Garden Mix"
  • Ornamental Kale "Sunrise" and "Sunset"
  • Lisianthus "Arena Red"
  • Nigella "Love in Mist"
  • Poppy "Falling in Love Mix"
  • Salvia "Marble Arch Mix"
  • Scabiosa "Fama White" and "Fama Deep Purple"
  • Zinnia "Envy", "Giants Mix", "Dwarf Mix", White Wedding", and "Queen Red Lime"

Best wishes to you as we put winter to rest and welcome the signs of spring!  

"The Glory of Gardening: hands in the dirt; head in the sun; heart with nature.  To nurture a garden is to feed not just on the body, but on the soul."  Alfred Austin







No comments:

Post a Comment